It’s a safety precaution just as important as wearing blaze orange. As a Michigan fall tradition returns, Michigan Gas Utilities (MGU) is urging deer hunters to thoroughly inspect their cabins’ heating systems before heading into the woods.

Hunters can take simple steps to avoid a dangerous or even fatal buildup of carbon monoxide. The invisible, odorless gas is created by improper venting or burning of fuel.

To prevent a buildup of carbon monoxide, hunters should:

  • Install carbon monoxide detectors inside their cabins, or check existing detectors to ensure they are working properly.
  • Check heating vents, flues and chimneys, and clear them of any animal nests or debris.
  • Never use a portable electric generator indoors.

It’s also important to learn to recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:

  • A sudden flu-like illness
  • Dizziness, headaches or sleepiness
  • Cherry-red lips and an unusually pale complexion
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • A fluttering heartbeat
  • Unconsciousness

Hunters who suspect someone may be suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning should move them into fresh air as quickly as possible and call 911. For more safety tips, visit the MGU website.